If the exterior paint of a vehicle is scratched or otherwise damaged, professional repair is a costly option. Repairing the damage yourself is obviously a preferable alternative but many people are unwilling to carry out the procedure, fearing that they may not achieve seamless, colour-matched results. Never fear: MotorNuts is here!
We now supply colour-matched paint from MPEX, one of the most respected and trusted brands in the business. Using official dealers' and manufacturers' databases, we can provide exterior vehicle paint in more than 77,000 different shades, incorporating RAL, Pantone and BS options. The paint is available in pen or bottle formats for small touch-up jobs or as an aerosol for larger areas of damaged paintwork.
Applying MPEX colour-matched vehicle paint is easy and here we present our step-by-step guides:
- Prepare the area. Ensure that any loose paintwork, dust and dirt is removed before thoroughly cleaning and drying the affected area. If rust is present then apply primer (also available on the MotorNuts website). Surrounding undamaged paintwork should be protected with masking tape
- Shake the pen/bottle vigorously for at least 30 seconds to ensure product consistency
- Apply the colour-matched paint thinly in smooth, long strokes. If using the needle-point pen, gently introduce the nib into the scratch, squeezing gently to get the paint flowing
- A single coat is often sufficient but, if a second coat is required, make sure that the first coat has been allowed to dry for at least 10 and up to 25 minutes. If you intend to subsequently apply lacquer (which is available from the MotorNuts website), allow the paint to cure for at least 24 hours
- Prepare the affected area according to step 1 above
- Release the aerosol's alligator ball and shake the can for at least two minutes
- Press the nozzle to apply the paint from a distance of 25cm. Use a cross-coating motion
- Allow the area to dry as in step 4 above. Clean the aerosol nozzle thoroughly. If there is still paint remaining in the can, store it upside down for hassle-free application at a later date
We have put together a list of FAQs about MPEX colour-matched paint so this is your first stop if you require more information. If your question is not answered here or if you need any further advice, please contact the expert MotorNuts team directly and we will be happy to help you out.