If you’re going on holiday or long journeys in your car this summer our expert team at MotorNuts have compiled this handy checklist to consider to make sure your car is ready for the drive.
1. TyresPressure and tread. Firstly you need to check all your tyres are above the legal limit – a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm across ¾ of the tyre’s width. Once your car is ready and loaded to hit the road check your tyre pressures are what they’re meant to be – as stated in your handbook.
2. Engine oilA long journey is the perfect excuse to check all of your fluids are topped up so that includes:
It is also a great time to give your engine and systems a bit of TLC with one of our treatments or additives.
3. Keep it coolHot weather can mean hotter cars – so make sure your coolant level is topped up (always check when the engine is cold). Whilst we are talking about keeping cool we would also recommend you make sure your air con is gassed and working, we also really recommend running an antibacterial cleaner through it to make sure it’s as fresh as it is cool.
4. Windscreen – wipers and screen washCheck your windscreen for chips and cracks and get anything over 10mm repaired. Top up your screen wash and make sure your wiper blades aren’t smearing or squeaking... because that would be nearly as annoying on a long journey as the unavoidable ‘are we nearly there yet’!
5. LightsYou need to check all lights are working and change any bulbs that need replacing - so that includes:Headlights – main and dipped, Sidelights – front and rear, Indicators – front rear and side repeaters, Brake lights, Number plate, Reverse light, Fog lights – front and rear and Hazards. In many European countries you need to use day time running lights and have to carry a bulb replacement kit.
6. Puncture repair kitIn case of a worst case scenario we recommend a wonder product - Michelin Tyre Sealant puncture repair tyre weld which re-inflates a tyre and provides a temporary puncture repair. To make sure you are ready for an emergency when travelling abroad have you got a warning triangle.
7. Keep it cleanHolidays + kids = messy car! Our top tip to avoid the inevitable food and beach mess everywhere is investing in some carpet car mats to protect your original floor and make it easier to clean and de-sand plus we have seat covers to keep the mucky fingers off the seats!